WHY SALT IS USED AS IODINE CARRIER?
- Most of food items require salt.
- Average daily consumption in India per person is 10 gms.
- Rich or poor, urban or rural area, man or woman, child or adult required salt.
- One food item consumed everyday by everybody in fixed quantities.
- Iodization of salt is simple process
IMPORTANCE OF IODINE IN BRAIN DEVELOPMENT :
- 50,000 brain cells produced/second in a developing fetal brain
- 100 billion brain cells in an adult
- One million billion connections between these brain cells determines IQ
HOW TO CHECK THE PRESENCE OF IODINE IN SALT
The Adequately Iodized salt gives pinkish color on addition of Salt test solution.