(A Government of Tamil Nadu Enterprise)
LLA Building, 735, Anna Salai, 4th Floor, Chennai - 600 002.
Ph. 91 44 28418344, 28517088, MD- 28522113, Fax - 28525846.
Toll free # 1800 425 00022: website - www.tnsalt.com
Tamil Nadu Salt Corporation Limited herein referred to as (TNSC) was registered under the Companies Act 1956 with the Registrar of Companies, Tamil Nadu on the 22nd July of 1974 as a Company and the entire shareholding is held by the Government of Tamil Nadu. TNSC is a wholly owned Government of Tamil Nadu undertaking i.e. State Public Sector Undertaking (SPSU).
- To manufacture salt from sea water or from brine or from bitterns or by undertaking mining operations and trade or otherwise deal in all varieties of salt, salt based chemicals and by-products thereof and marine chemicals of all kinds.
- To treat, cure, refine, purify, compound, manipulate, submit to any process, manufacture or render marketable whether on account of the Company or otherwise, all varieties of salt, salt based chemicals and by-products thereof, marine and allied chemicals, minerals and produce of all kinds.
- To manufacture, buy, sell, import, export or otherwise deal in salt, marine and allied chemicals of all kinds, organic or inorganic.
3. TNSC has been allotted with 5504.12 acres of Government land, on long term lease basis and started its commercial operations during the year 1974-75 and it has successfully completed more than four decades of its effective business operations. TNSC started making profit from the year 1990-91 and has been continuing to be profitable, growing steadily over the years.
TNSC manufactures Industrial Grade Salt (IGS) and supplies to industrial customers namely Chlor alkali industries. During the year 2016, TNSC has achieved highest ever production of 218,450 tonnes of IGS. TNSC also manufactures other edible fortified Salts namely Crystal Iodized Salt, Refined Free Flow Iodised Salt, Double Fortified Salt (Iodine and Iron) and Low Sodium Salt in the brand name of “AMMA Salt”.
TNSC supplies quality “AMMA Salt varieties” viz. Crystal iodized Salt and Refined Free Flow Iodised Salt at affordable price for the benefits of millions of rural population through PDS & Co-operative Stores in Tamil Nadu & Puducherry.
Double Fortified Salt (containing Iron & Iodine) distributed to the Noon Meal Programme (NMP) for the benefit of School going children in Tamil Nadu. The neighbouring States like Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Puducherry and other northern States are also interested in buying this double fortified salt from TNSC as and when they require.
TNSC launched “AMMA Salt” varieties namely, Refined Free Flow Iodised Salt, Double Fortified Salt (Iodine and Iron) and Low Sodium Salt for the sales in open market on 11th June, 2014 by the then Hon’ble Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
- Our AMMA Salt varieties have been certified for ISI mark. TNSC obtained IS 7224:2006 certificate for the manufacture of Iodised salt; and IS 16232:2014 certificate for manufacturing Double fortified salt (Iron & Iodine) from Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS);
- TNSC obtained central License from Food Safety Standard Association of India (FSSAI) No.10012042000676 for the quality production of Iodised salt and double Fortified salt.
- TNSC is an ISO certified organisation since 2007. It has upgraded and obtained ISO 9001:2015 standard certification for the Quality Management system for its production and supply of Industrial grade salt (IGS) and edible Fortified salt products.
- TNSC entered into MOU with the Indian Coalition for Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorder (ICCIDD), New Delhi for the usage of ICCIDD logo as assurance for quality of iodised salt.
- The Industrial Grade Salt (IGS) is well accepted by the industrial customers. Our Products have received a variety of quality Certificates and pass through strict quality checks. TNSC has since established a modern Laboratory for such quality checks at MVSC, Valinokkam.
In order to eradicate the Iodine deficiency disorders among the rural mass living under below poverty line:
- TNSC is distributing adequately Iodised Salt through the PDS at an affordable cost in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
- To eradicate Iodine and Iron deficiencies among the school going children, TNSC is plays a major role in health programme of the government by supplying the Double Fortified Salt (DFS) to all districts in Tamil Nadu through PT MGR Noon Meal Programme at the rate of 1.9 gm/child/day covering for a total number of one million children beneficiaries under this scheme.
- To give thrust to develop the backward region of Ramanathapuram District, by creating and providing employment opportunities for the weaker segments of the society,
- To uplift of the socio economic conditions of the region and to exploit the potential resources of the sea for the production of salt and salt based byproducts:
- To control and eliminate the commonly prevailing micronutrients namely Iron and Iodine deficiencies disorders among the School going children, women and other general population in Tamil Nadu and others State(s) by the supplementation of this micronutrient through Iodised and Double Fortified salt for their schemes.
- TNSC produced and supplied salt fortified with Di-ethyl Carbomycine Citrate (DEC) through health department to eradicate filariasis in Kanyakumari District. During 2015-16, TNSC supplied 24 tonnes of DEC salt to Andaman & Nicobar Islands through Vector Control Department, GOI.
TNSC engaged in the active participation of World Health Organization’s programme on creating awareness of Iodised salt. TNSC supplied 6,13,173 tonnes of Fortified salt from 1991 to 2017 for the benefit of the common public.
To create more awareness on the usage of Iodised salt and its benefits, TNSC taking various measures namely providing/distributing advertisement materials like pamphlets, posters, danglers etc. TNSC has attractive audio awareness advertisement used to promote Amma Salt varieties.
With the financial assistance from the international Organization namely UNICEF’s Fund for increasing the awareness on the consumption of Iodised salt and Double Fortified salt for imparting training to PDS sales men; conducting live Radio Programme and Street plays in the select districts to create awareness of Iodised salt. UNICEF is continuously assisting TNSC for creating awareness among public on the importance of Iodised salt. UNICEF has also given consent to assist for conducting awareness programme for Double Fortified salt.
TNSC issued 100 grams of Double Fortified Salt (Iron & iodine) as free sample to the children studying in Govt. Schools in Tamil Nadu to create awareness on the usage of DFS.
As a part of Corporate Social Responsibility, TNSC provided furniture like tables and benches to the Schools which are situated in the villages in and around our factory at Valinokkam, Ramanathapuram Dist. During the year 2016-17, TNSC also paid a sum of Rs 2 lakhs for conducting a Book fair in the Perambalur District.
- This project Mariyur Valinokkam Salt Complex (MVSC) was established in a most backward area of Ramanathapuram District in Kadaladi Taluk to generate employment opportunities and to develop the socio economic conditions of the poor villages living in the coastal area.
- The project provides employment directly to about 1300 workers and about 200 Nos. of indirect workers belonging to 15 villages in Kadaladi Taluk of Ramanathapuram District. Earlier these labour forces were getting employment only in the neighbouring districts by their migration. In the view of establishment of the salt project, the above local labour force is getting employment locally without migration
- TNSC has extended various Labour welfare measures like providing purified RO (reverse osmosis) water, Tea & Biscuits at their work spot to the workers, besides safety items like Sun goggles, light weight gumboots are also provided to the workers to protect them from the hot sun during salt season. TNSC has been extending all statutory benefits to its salt workers and conducting periodical medical health camps to take care of the health condition of the salt workers.
- To combat both Iron and Iodine deficiencies among the school going children, TNSC will continue to supply Double Fortified Salt to PT MGR Noon Meal Scheme in Tamil Nadu.
- TNSC has entered into MOU with NIN (National Institute of Nutrition), Hyderabad, to use the formula developed by them for manufacturing of DFS (Double Fortified Salt) to supply noon meal scheme. Government of Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh requested DFS (Double Fortified Salt) manufactured under NIN, Hyderabad formula for their Mid-day meal scheme.
- The TNSC is exploring the possibilities of supplying Double Fortified Salt to other Government schemes in States like Telangana, Chhattisgarh; Supply of adequately iodized Salt at affordable price for the welfare of the common people through retail outlets of the PDS in Kerala & other northern States.
- Considering the scope to increase the market share for edible Iodised salt in all Southern States, the TNSC has taken steps to upgrade the existing manufacturing facilities for increased production of Iodised Salt and the Double Fortified Salt through the new Salt Refinery Project. The production of DFS with Iron and Iodine using the technology developed by NIN, Hyderabad will eliminate Iodine Deficiency Disorders and Iron deficiencies like Anaemia etc. among the common population.
- TNSC planned to produce 2.5 lakh tonnes of Industrial Grade Salt and around 50,000 tonnes of fortified salt per annum.
- TNSC installed Salt Refinery at Valinokkam, Ramanathapuram Dist. to produce 30,000 tonnes of refined free flow Iodised salt and 10,000 tonnes of Double Fortified salt per annum. The Salt Refinery was commissioned on 20.04.2017 by the Hon’ble Minister for Industries and Hon’ble Minister for Information Technology at MVSC, Ramanathapuram. M/s. TATA Trust granted Rs. Four crores for setting up of machineries of salt refinery.
- MEITY, GOI has sanctioned a sum of Rs.76.63 lakhs towards “e-solution to TNSC” under Good Governance and Best Practices Scheme for providing end to end computerized solutions to the activities of TNSC. It has been implemented through M/s. C-dac, Chennai with the support of M/s. ELCOT and BSNL.
- Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) assisted modern Lab facilities: TNSC is giving more importance to upgrade the quality of its products through R&D activities. TNSC established two modern laboratories one at factory MVSC, Valinokkam and other one at Corporate Office at Chennai with the financial support of Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) for a total cost of Rs. 25 lakhs. The finished products and the raw materials are tested at the lab.
10(a).TNSC, being a Company managed by the Board of Directors headed by the Chairman and the Board comprises of representative of Government of Tamil Nadu from Industries Department, Finance Dept., Social Welfare Dept. and Deputy Salt Commissioner, Salt Department GOI. In addition, the day to day management of TNSC is looked after by the Managing Director who is an Indian Administrative Service Officer assisted by the various Heads of Department. The Paid up Share Capital of the Company is Rs.6,34,02,780/- divided into 63,40,278 Equity shares of Rs.10/- each. The activities of TNSC are carried out in the Registered Office situated at the following address: LLA Building, 735, Anna Salai, IVth Floor, Chennai 600 002.
10(b).TNSC is producing around 1.75 lakh tonnes of Industrial Grade Salt every year and eliminating around 90,000 cu m of Bittern, the mother liquid after harvesting the salt at 29o Be. This 29o Be Bittern is rich in magnesium sulphate, magnesium Bromide, Magnesium chloride along with other chemicals. In order to make the waste bittern a useful one, TNSC has outsourced the extraction of Bromine from Magnesium Bromide of the bittern of 29o Be. The 29o Be bittern of TNSC is consisting of around 1.8 to 2.1 gm of Bromine in each litre. With the permission of Government, the outsourcing agent M/s. SIBAC, Tuticorin has established this Bromine extraction plant and trial production commenced in August, 2006. This Bromine can be used for the manufacture of pesticides, pharmaceuticals, photo film industries etc
10(c).100 Tonnes per hour capacity salt washery installed in Mariyur Valinokkam Salt complex to upgrade the quality of the salt produced. This type of washery was installed for the first time in Tamil Nadu. This will enable Tamil Nadu Salt Corporation to market its produce with better margin. And there is also scope for exporting the washed salt to foreign countries.
- The particulars of organization, functions and duties:
The Registered Office is situated at 735, Anna Salai, LLA Building, IVth Floor, Chennai - 600 002 and the Salt Works is at Valinokkam, Kadaladi Taluk, Ramanathapuram District. TNSC is engaged in the manufacture of Industrial Grade Salt, Fortified Salt in the brand name of AMMA salt varieties viz. (i) Crystal Iodised Salt, (ii) Double Fortified Salt, (iii) Refined Free Flow Iodised Salt and (iv) Low Sodium Salt. TNSC has major salt works in Ramnathapuram, the most backward area in Tamil Nadu and it is a second largest salt manufacturer in India as a whole.
- The powers and duties of the Officers and employees:
TNSC is managed by the Board of Directors and the day today management being looked after by the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD/MD). The overall management of TNSC is vested with the Board of Directors headed by the CMD/MD. The Board delegates its powers suitably to the CMD/MD for the smooth and efficient functioning of the organization. The other Officers and employees perform their duties with such powers as may be delegated by the chairman and Managing Director/ Managing Director from time to time.
- The procedure followed in the decision-making process including
channels of supervision and accountability:
The Managing Director looks after the overall management of TNSC on a day to day basis. The various Heads of Departments in TNSC are 1. General Manager 2. Company Secretary 3. Manager (Marketing) i/c , 4. Deputy Manager (QC P&D), 5. Deputy Manager (Finance). HOD's are supervising the respective Departments and they are accountable for the performance of the Departments under their control. General Manager is looking after overall functions of QC&PD Dept., P&A Dept, Finance Dept..; 2. Company Secretary looking after the Secretarial functions and Advertisement & Publicity functions; 3. Manager (Marketing) i/c looking after all the marketing Dept. activities 4. Deputy Manager (QC P&D) looks after the quality control and production & Development activities of TNSC. 5. Deputy Manager (Finance) looks after the entire accounts of TNSC.
- The norms set by it for the discharge of its functions:
Efficiency, integrity, speed in response, Team work for evolving as a model organization. Periodical reports are submitted to the management.
- The rules, regulations, manuals and records held by it or under its
control or used by its employees for discharging its functions:
Memorandum and Articles of Association of the Company, Service Rules for the employees, instructions issued by the Government from time to time and Standing Orders for labourers at MVSC.
- A statement of categories of documents that are held by it are under its
The documents held by the company are the various correspondence between the Company with the Government/parties coming in contact during the course of business both commercial and Technical Agreements, Bank Guarantees, data relating to officers and employees.
- The particulars of any arrangement that exists for consultation with, of
representation by the members of the public in relation to the formulation
of its policy or implementation thereof:
The suggestions/complaints received from the Public or parties dealing with TNSC are given due consideration and the views so expressed are considered in formulation of Policies or Implementation thereof from time to time.
- A statement of the Boards, Councils, Committees and other bodies consisting of two or more persons constituted as its part or for the purpose of its advice, and as to whether meetings of those boards, councils, committees and other bodies are open to the public, or the minutes of such meetings are accessible for public:
- A directory of its officers and employees:
The name, address and contact Nos. of the key officials are as follows:
The project office is managed by Project Manager i/c for operations of Fortified Salt plant and Industrial Grade Salt production assisted by 1. Deputy Manager (P&A) 2. AEE (Mech.) 3. Deputy Manager (Sales); 4. Deputy Manager (Production) and 5. Deputy Manager Finance for the project activities at Mariyur Valinokkam Salt Complex (MVSC) and coordinate with the General Manager.
All purchases and works are finalised as per the provisions of Transparency in Tamil Nadu Tender Act, 1998 and its Rules.
The Board of Directors is the highest authority comprising of Directors and headed by the Chairman appointed by the Government from time to time. There are various Committees of Officers constituted from time to time and the Minutes are not open or accessible to the Public.
|CORPORATE OFFICE, Chennai|
|Managing Director||Thiru Har Sahay Meena, I.A.S.,||Ph: +91-44-28522113
|General Manager||Thiru P.K. Dillikumar||Ph: +91-44-28520356
|Company Secretary||Thiru P.T. Dayanandan||Ph: +91-44-28554975
|Manager (Marketing) i/c||Thiru M. Madhavan||Ph: +91-44-28410550
|Dy. Manager(Q C P&D)||Thiru J Prem Anand||Ph: +91-44-28417088
|Deputy Manager(Finance)||Thiru T. Jeyakumar||Ph.: +91-44-28517088
|Factory at MVSC, Valinokkam|
|Project Manager i/c||D. Vijayan||Ph: 04576 - 262227, 262224
Fax - 04576 - 262227
|AEE (Mech)||Thiru A. Rajendran||Ph: 04576 - 262227
Fax: 04576 - 262227
|Deputy Manager(P&A)||Thiru Rajamanickam||Ph: 04576 - 262227
Fax: 04576 - 262227
|Deputy Manager (Sales)||Thiru Venkateshan||Ph: 04576 - 262227
Fax: 04576 - 262227
|Deputy Manager(Production)||Thiru Ramakrishnan||Ph: 04576 - 262227
Fax: 04576 – 262227
There are totally 64 employees including the above said officials. At the project there are about 1300 labourers are working during salt season.
The monthly remuneration is determined by the respective Scale of Pay, Dearness and other allowances and there are two systems of compensation
- At the rates of pay and allowances applicable to Government Servants in respect of regular employees in the time scale of pay.
- As per the minimum wages applicable to salt industry to the labourers engaged in the Project
The financial highlights of the years 2015-16 and 2016-17 are furnished as follows:
|Particulars||For the Year ended 31.3.2016||For the Year ended 31.3.2017|
|Revenue from operations||2907.47||3848.57|
|Gross Profit before charging interest and Depreciation including adjustments||95.29||230.84|
|Profit before tax||43.63||92.24|
|Exceptional items (Income)||-||-|
|Profit before Tax and extraordinary items (Expenses)||43.63||92.24|
|Extraordinary items (Expenses)||-||-|
|Profit before tax||43.63||92.24|
|Tax expenses: Current year Prior Years||8.00
|Provision for Deferred Tax Asset||(1.86)||(30.38)|
|Profit after Tax||37.49||47.35|
|Dividend on Equity Share||25.36
Information related to Company Profile/Business is available at www.tnsalt.com
Company does not maintain any public library.
Thiru P.T. Dayanandan,
735, Anna Salai, LLA Building,
4th Floor, Chennai 600 002
Ph.: 044 28418344
Fax: 044 28525846
Tamil Nadu Salt Corporation Limited
735, Anna Salai, LLA Building, 4th Floor,
Chennai 600 002
Ph.: 044 28522113
Fax: 044 28525846